While you are laughing at them, they are laughing all the way to the bank

As I scrolled through my newsfeed I came across an author slamming the humanity right out of EL James. I turned to my husband and said, “You know, while people laugh at her, she’s laughing all the way to the bank.”

His reply, “Absolutely and she’s rolling around in her millions.”

Let me start with I read the Twilight and Fifty Shades books. I was curious about both phenomenons. Sparkly vampires and BDSM, both genres I had little knowledge of because that wasn’t my reading forte.

After I read the Twilight series, I watched the movies. Stephenie Meyer’s books are movies, even The Host, so when people poke fun at her sparkly vampires my question is, “Have you published books and if so, are they movies?”

After I read the Fifty Shades series I had mixed feelings but mostly tipped on the lukewarm side but her books will be movies. I asked myself, “I’ve published a book and it’s not a movie. Good for her!”

Readers, writers, editors can knock those books until they are fifty shades underground…it doesn’t matter. Those two ladies are cashing their checks and buying summer homes.

Let me also mention Gillian Flynn. Her books are love/hate reads but Gone Girl is going to be movie in 2014 and I will absolutely go watch it.

My husband’s analogy went a little something like this: golf. In the sport you compete against yourself. Yes. There are other golfers on the board but essentially they are competing against themselves. Their success and failure is dependent on their skills and if the wind carries the ball into the sand trap. Well, they sink their heels in and get it out.

I understood what he was saying, though I’m not a golf fan, I got it.

I can’t compete against other authors even when authors want to race me to #1 on some list or another, their work is theirs and mine is mine. Every author’s skills are different and in such an unpredictable industry you will have people who want to hurt you, poo poo on your parade, and personally attack your character either in a blog or review.

The non-legit reviews (trolls) piss me off but there is nothing I can do about it. And I laugh it off and have a nice big glass of wine. I shake off the shit and move on. I keep writing. Critics are in the indie and traditional arena. I had a handful of authors express their negative emotions about Montlake Romance seeking me out. I was called a traitor after I signed with them.

In no way do I think I’m better than any one else. I am not in competition with anyone but myself. I’m my worst critic so anything anyone could say to me is nothing compared to what I’ve said to myself.

Why is it so difficult for people to be happy for others?

I’m not thrilled with the unethical bullshit that goes on but it doesn’t effect me therefore, I’m staying far away from the drama.

My journey is mine. I’m concentrating on that not EL James, Stephenie Meyer, Gillian Flynn or any other author that comes out with a book that sparks the interest or curiosity of readers. Those thousands of negative reviews they received translate to sales, which mean they cashed their checks with a huge grin while people slammed their editing and content.

Don’t even get me started on their movie royalties…

Don’t waste your energy hating on authors. Worry about you and your book and your PR and marketing. You will be happier and get much more work done. Trust me. My epiphany has brought me peace in a game that will either catapult you to awesomeness or drop you in your own pessimism pile.  



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for voicing what I have felt for a long time. I am excited whenever a writer finds success because it means that it is possible for me. I write my books because it's something I enjoy, and if the readers do as well then I am happy. I am so sick of the constant back-biting from other writers who seem to feel that if someone buys my book that they won't buy theirs. In no way will my sales hurt theirs, so why don't we try and help each other reach more readers? As to the trolls, there is nothing we can do about them. I guess leaving a crappy review makes them feel better about themselves, but I have come to the conclusion if the famous authors can survive the hateful 1 star reviews then so can I. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Even Stephen King gets 1 stars, hahaha.
      The constant back-biting is getting old and I'm more than happy to stay far away from it. I wrote because I love to the people who live inside of my head:-)

      Delete